Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fairy tales

Yesterday at the library I got my book...yippie yippie!! they had it.
Victor picked out an aquarium book "tharks eat the peopleth"
Elena picked out a book with a black cover which ended up being "the snow queen"
Great, I thought, a good ole classic fairy tale.
Y'all HC Andersen was a wierd guy, and after reading the wiki entry about him, i have just confirmed what i have been thinking when reading his stories.
I remember reading Thumbelina when I was little, I did not think too much about it...then.
My mama pulled it out--the same copy we read when I was little--at her house...
FREEAAKKY!! The little teeny girl has to marry an old mole...ughh...
wierd.
then in the snow queen tonight..this little girl is searching for her friend..in her search she encounters a "little robber girl" in the woods who takes her in and "keeps a knife beside the bed" that the little protagonist girl is "forced to sleep in"...
OMG y'all!!
needless to say i started reading ahead of the text and add libbing..whew..that was heavy stuff. and super strange!
I started thinking, "this book needs to come with a warning!"

Fairy tales anyone???....

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Yikes! All those old tales are freaky. I used to be scared on bridges, and look under them for trolls. When we were little, Jeremy thought the "troll" would get him... when we stopped at toll gates. :) "robber girl"? eek.

Spot on!

Spot is our family's chihuahua.  He is what we call, "an evil dictator/stuffed animal come to life".  Sometimes, after he has ...