Wednesday, February 6, 2013

{reality} TV

Since Andy and I got cable I have become a Junkie!! I love TV--always have!  Now with so many channels, and so much missed time to catch up and make up for...well, goodbye reality!!
Every night I go surfing--among all these wonderful channels to see what wonderful entertainment awaits me.
I have never been one to be a TV snob!! Nope! I was raised up on TV, TV guide, weeks organized by our favorite nights and their respective TV shows--I can think of ALOT worse things to have going on than rushing home to catch an episode of The Cosby Show With my mom and dad....
Pure joy all day Thursday--just knowing I got to watch my favorite Thursday night TV.

So these days I am liking ....COMPLETE   Junk!!
Shahs of Sunset
all the housewives--for about five minutes--then I usually have to catch another wave...
That one is either too big and scary or just to much of a silly ripple that is TBD.
Toddlers and Tiaras
Honey boo boo
Cake boss/Cake bake off (whatever it's called, I enjoy it!)
All of everything that comes on HGTV...
Steven Colbert
Tosh O
Jon Stewart...

Do you get it?  I am in love with all these shows!!

So the other day I was thinking...
Does anyone remember learning in any Anthropology class about sub-cultures, or mini-cultures?  So one example my professor loved to use was Body Builders at the Gym.
They have their own set of words, ways, ideas, values...etc.  They are a sub-culture of our
overall culture.

So, really, I told myself, I am doing classwork watching all this TV--b/c when we watch all of these {reality} shows we are really just indulging a curiosity to learn about other sub-cultures...
I mean I really cannot relate AT ALL!! to the people in the Shahs of Sunset.  Their every ways of being are different from mine.
Name any of the shows above--and basicall nothing in my life is like anything in theirs.
EXCEPT the biggie, that we are human. ;)--
This must be the draw, I think--
The Shahs of Sunset are the most fascinating...
Well, those crazy, fanatical cheer moms and beauty pagent ladies...
Oh, and don't forget the LA ladies who have all surguried their faces so that
they now resemble a troop of alien monkeys???
I bet those plastic surgeons get drunk at parties and laugh their heads off at those
silly ladies!!

So, now, I do not feel guilty when I watch the Duggar clan for an hour...I am simply studying
the culture of their family, and maybe learning a thing or two about how using a tone of voice that is sweet all the time, might make me feel sweeter??? Have y'all watched this?

Nighty Night now, I am off to catch up with the cheer moms--or, will I watch the build it guys...
Choices, Choices!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a tv junkie as well! My whole life!

Did you see Honey Boo Boo's mom lost 100 pounds and she is like a millionaire, and being smart saving all their money till they are adults?! She's a genius!
I find myself watching Shahs sometimes..I like Reza.

Bethany said...

Classwork, yes! That's what we can call this surfing! :)
Great blog name - Tv Anthropology.
I watch the Duggar's whenever I am feeling overwhelmed with my {tiny} family... and I always end up marveling over Ms. D's quiet tone. What in the WORLD! Haha, alien monkey tribe... that's perfect. I miss Thurs. family night tv!

Spot on!

Spot is our family's chihuahua.  He is what we call, "an evil dictator/stuffed animal come to life".  Sometimes, after he has ...