Tuesday, May 28, 2013

{breaking}

The new show, "Breaking Am1sh" is on that learning channel.
I have watched a couple 1/2 times...and I cannot bear to watch.
This might drive home a point to me...Not all anthropological studies are meant to
be enjoyed by me, specifically.
This show surely appeals to some people.
I am not one of them.
Here is why:
This show {to me} exploits these people and their follies during one of the most tender times in any person's life--from 15 to 25.
This period is called, "The green period" by some.
It is a time of experimentation--trying the boundaries--making an a$$ out of oneself.
You, my dear readers, can fill in more blanks on that one, I am sure.
It is a time when everyone in a family just prays and prays that (sweetie) will come out of the other side alright...

Now, my whole life I have had this very pure and sweet picture of the Amish--I realize
this might be completely untrue--but it is what the Strawberry shortcake part of my brain has chosen to believe.
They seem simple--in that old quaker song kind of way.
They seem pure and calm, and dignified.

Taking teenagers/young adults during their green period and filming them--when they come from the amish culture--eek!--What a train wreck.
My skin crawls watching these young ones cussing and {all the rest that they do}.
--and if you know me, or read my blog, you know that a curse occasionally passes my lips--
Watching these guys use potty mouth, however, is disturbing on another level.

In a moment of bloggy fusion the other night Bethany already heard this post--live! from Whootentown road.

For everyone else who was not there, I said to her, "breaking redneck" "breaking ghetto" "Breaking guido" --breaking whatever else that one could think of that is some sub set of our population is almost acceptable.
I can take it, thus my love of "The Real World" for 20 years. LOL.
BUT--watching these Amish kids go from pitchforking hay and handpumping water for their autos (AKA horses)--to dropping f-bombs every other word...
It's like if you pour hot grease into a cold jar--it just bursts into chards all of a sudden--
and it surprises you, and disturbs you..

Well, in short, I do not recommend it.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Oh yeah... true! I have the same (haha!), "strawberry shortcake" ideas of the Amish. It's too much, move on Amurca. Breaking guido, lol.

Spot on!

Spot is our family's chihuahua.  He is what we call, "an evil dictator/stuffed animal come to life".  Sometimes, after he has ...