Saturday, August 4, 2018

A Tale of two Matinees

This week in our part of the world the weather has been particularly wet and cloudy.  We have spent time inside, hanging out together.  I have also had a cold, probably the result of playing in the cool rain and swimming in the 65 degree ocean last week, then passing ratos sitting on the beach (without sun to dry me off).  Who knows?  Vamos, I needed to recover.  
Thursday and Friday, we decided, would be the days to go watch two movies of the summer we have been wanting to see.
Thursday we went to see Teen Titans Go!  That movie was so funny.  y'all, if you have not watched Teen Titans Go with a set of kids, you need to find some kids and watch that cartoon.  It comes on Cartoon Network pretty much back to back all day every day.  My kids had told me that they did not want to see the movie--they pretty much all agreed! (I was so sad--rite of passage, leaving kiddie cartoons behind).  BUT, later on, in a moment of weakness, they all also said, they DID want to see the movie.  Yay!!  Teen Titans Go! was the usual funny.  It only lasted 1.5 hours.  They are all written for incredibly short attention spans.  At the end of the movie, Robin is trying to tell the kids the "message (moral) of the story".  No one will let him.  He manages to squeeze in a message to the kids, "Hey kids, on your way home, ask your mom and dad how babies are made."  FUNNY!!  My kids all know--that is another post.  We all laughed.
Friday was going to be the day for Elena and me to watch "Mamma Mia."  Then, I thought about it, and decided all of us would go.  Eva  (9), Victor (11), Elena (13), and me.  I asked a couple friends and they all agreed that all their kids liked it.  It'a a musical...so hey!  As the movie unraveled it was hilarious to me how we were all processing the movie (probably).  Victor the least interested in the movie about love, and how the girl did not know which of three men was her dad and the teenager was discovering her purpose by escaping to Greece.  Eva was into the music and she was trying to figure out who was who b/c the movie kept switching b/t 1979 and 2005 (or so).  She was sitting beside me, so I was the resident explainer.  She thought the two young actresses looked "just alike".  That is a hoot to me b/c they really don't.  I have no idea what Elena was thinking, and most of the time I do not.  I can imagine, having been a 13 year old girl myself, that looking at all those beautiful people in a movie about love--well, you know... I think I am blushing just writing about it LOL.  I was in a complete dream state.  First of all I think any United Statesian who is 40 or older  probably has a lobe of their brain, right by their brainstem called the ABBA portion.  That music conjures up so much emotion for me.  Also, at 40 I was reminscing my own days living abroad etc.  Also, the scenery in that movie!! GOSH!  Then Cher popped up and I was like....this is so wierd.  She was not necessary for this... Her part in the movie was so contrived.  Then she pronounced the name, "Cien fuegos" as "Sin fuegos"  --look it up.  Completely changes the meaning.  Back to the good parts.  Lily James-is the next Julia Roberts in my mind, and when I grow up, I want to be Christine Baranski.  I have loved that woman ever since she was in that show with Cybil Sheppard in the 1990's--she was Maryanne.  GOSH!! Did y'all see her kick her leg up all the way to her face! At some points I found myself feeling embarrased about Donna having the three one night stands in a row and insisting that she "never did this" LOL.  My kids were watching!! Whatevs.  The whole two days with matinees had an underlying theme in the end.  (hee hee).  After the movie I had two potential drives 1.  to binge drink good wine with a friend and dance to ABBA or 2.  to come home and listen to ABBA and paint my kitchen.  Here is the result!  Here are my little movie mates being proud of their work.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Spot on!

Spot is our family's chihuahua.  He is what we call, "an evil dictator/stuffed animal come to life".  Sometimes, after he has ...