Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes...

I work with small children...very young...only up to first graders..
Here are things I have heard in my small groups in the past three days...

"My sister, she beat her baby" (The baby, by the way, is two weeks old)
"Dis is how she shake her baby"--The sister, by the way, is 15....

Has your heart dropped yet?  Mine does...it keeps going...

Hit--this was a simple word we were sounding out...
This is what I heard blurted out..
"Da Mama, she hit her baby!"  That is a sentence with hit (At this point I had to stop and give a small talk about what types of sentences could be shared in my group).  This was a different group, too, than the above group.

It keeps going....
One girl has told me "Mrs. Hill, my bottom be hurtin me today.." {Yikes} She blurted this out right on the sidewalk...which was fine--she did go to the doctor and she is fine --lest ye all be worrying.
ummm...let's see, what else...
Oh, and when we were going over /s/ blends---there was a picture of a stamp.
The child said "Picture".
I said, "Yes, this could be a picture, but it is a stamp.  Do you know what a stamp is?"
"Oh Yeah, "  she said, "Das wha you have to use whe(n) you mail a letter like to someone in jail!"

Be still my heart --it is beating irregularly a this point...

This all came from four different students in three days..

Where is superman??? --In jail?  hmm???.... I can tell you one thing, most of my students at school sure
do not have a super(anyone) looking after them at home.

Does it ever amaze anyone else the lengths human beings will go to to rescue one another, and at the other end of the spectrum how absolutely terribly many humans treat our very own children?
Do you ever wonder why there are no stories in the news about how little parents do for/with the children they are {blessed} with...when there are SO MANY stories about how TERRIBLE teachers are etc.?

In case you are wondering:  Yes, I have called DSS several times this week.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Heavy. Heavy stuff. Heavy and sad. I am glad you are really listening.
{XO}

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Oh my gosh, I cannot even imagine the horror some of these children have lived with. So sad.

Spot on!

Spot is our family's chihuahua.  He is what we call, "an evil dictator/stuffed animal come to life".  Sometimes, after he has ...